Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Most Boring Game Ever

This past Saturday night was the Mariners' Armed Forces Appreciation game, which basically means they had all the tickets at discounted prices and there were lots of service members in uniform present.

Pete and I got stuck in traffic because there was also a Supercross show going on across the street at Qwest Field and apparently the entire state of Washington arrived to attend at least one of the events. Anyway, we ended up missing the opening ceremonies when they did all the military stuff. When we got to our seats there was an old man and his very, very big son with him. Plus, the seats were smack dab in the middle of the row and I didn't feel like climbing over everyone so we just sat a few rows back in some empty seats.



I got myself some nachos and a beer and Pete had some peanuts. And we spent the next hour or so just waiting for someone (anyone) to get a run. I think some time in the 6th inning, the Tigers got two runs. And that's about when Pete decided he wanted some Rally Fries. So we walked around and he stood in line to wait for his fries. And that was about it until the game was over (2-0 Tigers).



About the most exciting thing that happened was that while waiting in line for my second beer I ran into an old classmate who I've known since I was 12. We went to middle school, high school, and college together and haven't seen each other for about 6 years. During our junior year of college, we were paired to dance the waltz at our annual luau. That was awkward, seeing as how his recent ex-girlfriend had ditched him as had mine and that's how we got paired and every other dancing couple in the waltz was an actual lovey-dovey couple. But we ended up having fun with it. The cool part about running into Mike was that he kept telling me over and over how good I looked. A much-needed stroke to my ego. Lord knows it's not coming from anywhere else!

(P.S. Anyone from Kamehameha will understand the shock of seeing Mike wearing this t-shirt!)


Anyway, after the game, I decided I wanted to have a little more alcohol, but I wasn't interested in paying $8 a beer anymore, so I suggested we go hit a bar before going home. Of course, on the way there I decided I was just too tired to do that, so we swung by Safeway, picked up some cheap wine and a pizza and headed to the house. However some time between getting a shower and actually drinking the wine, Pete and I both passed out on the couch. Some time around 5am, the animals started climbing up on top of me, so I scooted off to bed for another couple of hours.

Yep, a pretty uneventful day. But it was at least good to spend time with the bro for a bit.

1 comment: