I've heard some stories about wives' experiences with Rear-D, and they're usually not uplifting, happy-ending stories. But I do know that Rear-D soldiers are often underappreciated and put in some situations they'd rather not be in. A year and a half ago, a friend's unit suffered three losses at once and it was Rear-D that arranged the memorial service on post. After hearing others' opinions about Rear-D, I was surprised to see the amount of emotion pouring out at the service. It was then that I realized that the Rear-D folks experience the deployment as both deployed soldiers and those left behind. I developed a new appreciation for the position.
Last week on my way to work I was pulled over by Auburn police. The officer let me know that the reason he pulled me over was because all my rear lights were out, including my brake lights. With the weather being as foggy as it has been, he was concerned that other drivers couldn't see me and would not be able to slow or stop in time if approaching me from behind. He followed me the rest of the way to the office and then advised me to get the lights fixed soon so I wasn't hurt. I appreciated that he didn't ticket me.
Once at work, I began calling around to local mechanics to find out how much it would cost to have the lights/sockets/fuses checked and fixed. They all quoted me at around $60 just for the labor and advised me that I'd also be charged for any parts. Seeing as how I don't have money spontaneously falling into my pockets, I decided it would be a good idea to call the FRG and see if there was another route.
Our FRG lead, Ashley, pointed me toward our Family Assistance Coordinator (FAC), Deborah. Deborah called me right away and told me to come up to the armory because she had some guys there who could help me. My boss let me head out a little early so I could take care of the car. When I got to the armory, SGT McDowell and another soldier (I should have gotten his name) immediately dropped what they were doing and cheerfully went out to my car. They didn't make me feel like a slob for the large amount of crap in the trunk or the foot-thick layer of dirt that is perpetually stuck to my car now that I live at the end of a 1/2-mile long dirt road. Nope, they just got in there, tinkered around, and five minutes later told me I was good to go. Turns out that my bulbs were just a little loose. No need to pay $60 plus parts for what was solved with a little turn of the wrist.
I am so grateful not only for their services but for the "no problem" attitude they had for me. It felt good to not feel like a total heel. So I went by the grocery store yesterday and bought some beef and vegetables and I'll be making a big pot of stew tonight to take up to the armory tomorrow for their lunch. I emailed Deborah to make sure the armory would be open and she said I didn't have to do anything; that "that's what we're here for". I know, but I still think it's good to show them my appreciation.
12 years ago


OK I've been lagging a little when it comes to my blog reading. I'm sure youve noticed my lack of comments lol. So I'm catching up right now. Amanda you are the most thoughtful, kind hearted person I have ever met!
ReplyDelete